Friday, September 12, 2008

Me DAD

So another post, this one's a lil bit closer to home, but fuck it I say, guess this is what blogs are for sometimes, just to vent a few lil things that are happening. So I found out a few months ago that my dad has a few months to live, he has lung cancer. Probably the shittest thing to ever happen in my life, he never smoked, and got a cold one day (he's a doctor by the way) and thought it was nothing, he got a really bad cough and my mum suggested he go get it checked, one week later he was in hospital all connected to machines and shit and being told that he has cancer encasing his right lung. All came as a bit of a shock to say the least. If you've known someone who had cancer or know someone who is dealing with cancer at the moment then you know how much of a gnarly disease it is. The shit thing is that he and my mum have been together for 30 years, and he was her only boyfriend and vice versa, they had built a life together and were looking forward to growing old together and life deals this out. He has always been my inspiration for my whole bike riding life and it's a bitter pill to swallow talking to someone who only has a certain amount of time left in this world. He's done shitloads of stuff for maori heath here in nz, and a TV programme filmed a lil piece on him a while ago, you can check it out here if you want to. Anyways, I just thought that I would share this shit with ya, if you're reading this then thanks a bunch, I guess the biggest thing for me is not so much the fact that I'm losing my dad, its that my daughter is losing her poppa, which is the hardest thing to deal with.

1 comment:

Abbie M said...

oh tears.
how refreshing to hear a male talk so openly about pain.
Harmony my not always physically have her grandpa, but I am sure she will always feel his aroha.